Monday 23 September 2013

iPhone 5S Hands On

So, today I visited an Apple store for the first time since the iPhone 5S and 5C were released. My wife was in for a repair on her iPhone which gave me ample opportunity to have a play with the newest iDevice on the block.




Picking up a display model I have to say, it's very impressive. What struck me immediately was its thinness, managing to make my iPhone 4S look positively lardy in comparison. I know the dimensions and weight are almost identical to the iPhone 5, but it's still a marvellous thing to behold when you do get your hands on one .

The first thing I went for was the TouchID demo they have on the display units. This app basically allows you to map your fingerprint to the phone and test it without actually saving it. About 5 taps later and my thumb was successfully mapped and the device was registering my touch with 100% precision. This is very impressive technology for sure.

Next up is the camera, which is a similar 8mp effort as the 5, however with a greatly improved sensor. Now, while I couldn't check any photos on a large screen, the quality of what I was dealing with on the phone itself was superb. Great colour balance and fantastic clarity, everything you want in a decent camera. The slow motion video was well implemented and great fun, though I'm not sure if I'd ever use it properly, it's a fun enough toy.

With the boosted processor, iOS 7 whipped along at a fantastic pace. I've noticed that it can hang a little on my iPhone 4S. With the 5S being designed for the new OS, the performance is excellent. Very quickly opening apps and transitioning between screens.

The new champagne gold colour is quite nice in the flesh, however I still think it's a little gaudy. However, the silver and slate colours are beautiful and understated. I think I would personally go for the silver colour myself, that one to me is clean and elegant.

Initial impressions for the iPhone 5S for me are really good. The TouchID feature is particularly impressive in my eyes. I'll be getting a 5S in the coming months when my upgrade is due so look for a full review coming soon. However, on first impressions this is a stellar handset and worth every bit of the hype

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful collection of contents as well as the information..!!!sony mobiles

    ReplyDelete